Activities and Atmosphere
There are so many fun things to do in La Drome Provencale but being able to do absolutely nothing (often with a glass of wine and a good book) is also important on holiday- so here are a few suggestions for those more active moments:
We are always delighted to suggest wine tasting itineraries in 0ur Cotes de Rhone region, with ideas where to stop for a Bistro lunch in a shady square and buy wine at exceptional prices.
Eating out is of extreme importance to us and we would love to tell you about our favourite restaurants to try from great value ‘workers’café lunches to Michelin star restaurants – all within easy short drives
If you enjoy buzzy markets, the provencale markets of Nyons , Dieulefit and Vaison are always an experience full of atmosphere and great fresh produce to cook at’ home’ on the BBQ. Coffee there in a boulevard café is fun just for people watching
We have plenty of walking maps and cycle routes (even the Tour de France routes go nearby) and decent bikes can be hired in the village
Friends who are artists and potters are happy to open their studios where you can pick up some great original pieces at reasonable prices
- Canoeing is within easy reach on the Drome or in the Ardèche gorge a little further away
- Horse back riding, and pony trekking for little ones can be arranged nearby.
- In July and August, classical music and wonderful operas are performed by world class musicians in the atmosphere of the Roman amphitheatre at Orange, the Son et Lumiere at Chateau of Grignan and during the Mozart festival nearby at Saou.
- There is a good 18 hole golf course and an interesting 9 hole course within reach .
- Flying, gliding, rock climbing and hang gliding are available for the more daring.
- Within reasonable driving distance you can visit the historic sites of Avignon, Orange’s famous Roman amphitheatre and the Roman Aqueduct at the Pont du Gard.
- However you might just prefer to wander the lavender fields, exploring the atmospheric medieval villages taking in one or more chateaux en route.